Global Grub: quick, easy, delicious italian Shrimp fra diavolo pasta recipe
Today’s global grub food tour takes us to Italy and this one’s for my hot girls… No really. If you love spice, this quick, easy, delicious Italian Shrimp Fra Diavolo pasta recipe is for you, sis. Fra Diavolo is a spicy sauce for pasta and seafood. It’s a tomato and pepper flake heavy dish, that will have your mouth watering more than your eyes (hopefully)… Check out the recipe below and watch the video to make it with me!
Shrimp fra diavolo ingredients
- Shrimp- 1 lb deveined: Some people like to peel, others (like me– like to keep the shell on, because that’s where the yummy juices live. I personally like to slurp it out as I eat!)
- Pinot Grigio (or any white or cooking wine)- Eyeball it. I dont think I put more than half a cup… if even that much.
- Olive Oil- I eyeball this, but I’d say put a thin layer in the pan to sautee
- Onion- 1/2 chopped
- Chopped Garlic- 1-2 cloves
- Fresh Tomato- 1 chopped ( I personally think you can taste the fresh tomatoes in this recipe and I love that, so that’s why I add it in ALONG WITH the crushed tomatoes!)
- Crushed tomatoes- 15 oz can (sometimes I will get the 28 oz just to put a little extra in and then freeze the rest of the tomatoes for another meal)
- Salt & pepper ( or any kind of seasoning salt you’d like)
- Fresh or dried Cilantro
- Mrs. Dash Seasoning (personal preference, if you want to keep the salt levels lower– this is not a must-have though)
- Season the shrimp and let it marinate in the refrigerator for as little or as long as you like
- Chop up onions, garlic and fresh tomato and set aside
- Heat olive oil on medium until you can smell it in the air, then sauté the onions in the oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes directly into the oil and stir. Let them saute for 30 seconds to a minute (but not much longer as to not burn the flakes) then add chopped garlic, stir and let saute for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Lower the heat a tiny bit, then add wine into the pan and let it simmer for a couple of minutes so it cooks off the alcohol-y taste. Bump up heat to medium again.
- Add fresh chopped tomato into pan and then add crushed tomatoes in. Let it simmer!
- Add herbs and seasonings while it’s simmering (basil, parsley, Mrs. Dash salt-free table blend (personal preference), seasoning salt (or regular salt and pepper), cilantro) and stir. Let all that goodness simmer on low-medium-ish heat for about 10-12 mins until it cooks down to a thicker sauce — but really the consistency is based on how you like your pasta sauce.
- While that’s cooking, boil pasta according to the package directions. After 10-12 mins of the red sauce simmering, add the shrimp, cover the pan and let it cook for about 4-6 mins total (2-3 mins on each side- no more than that or your shrimp will overcook).
- Remove the pan from the heat and hopefully by now your pasta is done! Drain and plate your pasta. Put as much of the shrimp sauce on top and serve as is or with cilantro and/or your favorite kind of cheese!